Something Feral

Digging up the flower-beds.


Thursday, November 6, 2008

The first steps are the most difficult


I signed up for a class with the Log Home Builders Association and booked the flight and the rental car for that weekend. I do believe it is one of the many (hopefully) good decisions made recently regarding the direction of my life.

Regarding the class, I decided some time ago that I do not like home construction and ownership as it is commonly packaged and sold: drywall and matchsticks on a tiny lot in some satellite-suburb, where you spend your weekends mowing the law, cleaning the gutters and weeding the flower-bed. Oh, and let's not forget painting the house every few years.

Screw that.

My concept of an ideal home includes a solidly-constructed building (more here) on many acres, both of which exist as an extension of my means of production; a prolific garden, space for livestock, timber growth, and a house that requires an absolute minimum of upkeep. Furthermore, it should be financially-efficient to build and operate. Anything else is creating busy-work for yourself, and I am wholeheartedly against that mindset.

My conscience is yelling from the Great Society Bar, "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."

We can't see the clock, but I can tell you it's close to last-call for this pig-sty. So, I'm getting my jacket, finishing my pint, and leaving for home. Where that is, I ain't sure yet, but it sure ain't here.

2 comments:

Elusive Wapiti said...

Hear hear! I think the whole 'pulling a John Galt' movement is starting to gather steam...

"Anything else is creating busy-work for yourself"

Before I moved back to Wyo, I lived in an apartment. I specifically did so in order to avoid the time I would waste on such busy-work as you mention.

Something Feral said...

I'm in the middle of Atlas Shrugged, and despite a slow start, it's difficult to put down. The parallels to our current state of affairs is eerie.

As much as I dislike the apartment setup, that is to say, sharing walls and edges with as many as eight groups of neighbors, they do have the perk that one never has to fix the truly awful things to work on.

"Pulling a John Galt" is looking more attractive every passing day.