Something Feral

Digging up the flower-beds.


Thursday, July 24, 2008

The only constant is change

Apparently, they're thinking about rising again:

UTICA, New York -One in five American adults - 22% - believe that any state or region has the right to "peaceably secede from the United States and become an independent republic," a new Middlebury Institute/Zogby International telephone poll shows.


I'd be interested to see a similar survey done in the next 12-18 months, with a larger sample size and an even geographic distribution.

Personally, I think the impending economic crash, coupled with federal mismanagement of the next major disaster would be enough to push the numbers to the approximate split that existed during the Revolutionary War. Considering the current push towards a more totalitarian state with the various "Wars on (Flavor of the Week)" that our government seems to enjoy at our expense (quite literally), I'm going to stick by my prediction that the United States will see internal conflict within the next century. Some are already telling Der Staat to take a long walk off a short pier.

I don't take any joy in being a storm-crow, but I call 'em like I see 'em. As the tired old tune goes, those that cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Don't get caught in the rain.

No comments: